Short cervix and effacement

I found out yesterday that I am 2 cm dilated and my doc also said my cervix was short. Is that the same thing as being effaced? I am 34 weeks and 6 days. I just want to know what having a short cervix mean. Could labor be close?

JaLayah

Asked by JaLayah at 2:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ask your doctor,that way u know for sure. Call the doctor.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You can be almost totally effaced and dialated at 2cm for many weeks. Some women never dialate or efface at all until labor starts, others it begins many weeks in advance.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yea my doctor was willing to let me for 6 hours when she thought i might be 2 cm and effaced, bc she said you can go for a couple months like that, but hopefully it means you wont go late :)
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• That doesn't necessarily mean that labor is close. I am 32 weeks pregnant, and dilated 2 cms and my cervix is shortening more and more every week.. My doctor is not concerned though because it is very possible to dilate early in the third trimester and carry full term. Just take it easy and stay VERY hydrated to prevent any contractions.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010