KIDS/TEACHER AND FACEBOOK

do you think it is ok for your child to have his teachers on facebook?

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 2:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• For me..

It would depend on the "Facebook" profile.

Some teachers use Facebook (etc) in a manner that coincides with school/their classes.. For example: placing links to where students can find more info on Units they are studying, give work samples/examples in order to help students, book recommendations..etc.. This type of usage of a social networking site by a teacher and their students being on their "Friends" list I can understand and would have no problem with.

A teacher using Facebook, for purely social networking.. IE: fave movies, what are you doing tonight, I did such and such last night, are you going here or there....etc.. And their students being on their "Friends"list I would view very differently . This type of usage/being friends I would not be comfortable with. Especially for younger children.. Teens would make me go "hmmm", because that type of interaction outside of school, isn't ok w/me.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• For a teacher and a student to be FB friends? Well, that would depend on how that particular teacher uses facebook. I know of one who uses it mainly with his students and therefore posts very little personal information of his own. In that sense, there is actually another adult keeping an eye on what the students are doing/saying/posting. As with any FB friends, it is the parent's responsibility to be aware of who their children are talking with and what they are doing.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 3:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Again..I see no issue. Not all teachers seduce students.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Hmm.. I don't know.. I don't think I would be okay with that..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My fiance is a teacher and he will not accept friend requests or add friends if they are CURRENTLY his students. Once they are no longer in his class, he will add them, but he does not chat with them and his profile is very G rated. I would not feel comfortable with my child being a Facebook friend of a current teacher.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My bil and sil both have several teachers as friends on facebook. Lots of the kids over at there high school do,they use it to post assignments sometimes,remind students of due dates things that are school related.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 3:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have several teacher friends and they have 2 separate facebook accounts. One is for students only and the other is for friends and family. They use the facebook accounts to post assignments etc. I only see their friends and family page though. I like the idea that the teacher is on their friend list so can have a little insight into the child's personal life if things seem a little off at school at any point.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sure, they have a life too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yeah, of course... Teachers are people too... They have friends, family, beliefs and everything the rest of us do... Why would FB be any different just because they are teachers.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i don't think i like the idea of my children once they are older having there teachers on facebook. i just saw a news about e teacher seducing a student using the facebook.
    iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010