What do you think about medication taking?

I am a firm believer in not giving my children medication unless they are so ill that it can cause them harm or death. I don't like to take medication either... right now I am on medication though cause I suffer PPD and quite a few other conditions including anxiety, PTSD and OCD. I don't think that my medication covers the OCD I just happen to suffer from it along with my other things. My children don't take medication unless they are very very ill. I mean my ancestors and yours did just fine without all the other things that they today are trying to include in diets and for mental health.. I am not really sure what I am getting at here other than what is your opinion on medication giving and or taking. Even if it is OTC medication. I don't even take medication for pain.. unless I am unable to function, however I do give my children pain medication for an ear infection cause from personal experience they hurt very much!!

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I take medication rarely...I'll pop one Ibuprofen once a week for a headache at most. I'm not on any prescriptions and I hope that whatever health problems I encounter in the future will allow me to stay as medication-free as possible. I think it comes from having two heavily-medicated parents: I don't want to go down that road because it freaks me out to see what's happened to them over the years. DH won't take anything whatsoever - I have to force him to take a multivitamin. His hesitation comes from having a family of drug addicts. :-/ I will give my girls something for pain when they are really sick, but other than that, we don't give them anything.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm careful about over-medicating my kids. If they have a low grade fever and don't seem uncomfortable, I don't give them anything b/c the fever is fighting infection, however, if it gets too high or they seem like they're in pain,I offer them tylenol or motrin. My kids don't have allergies, though if they did, I would definitely offer them allergy meds b/c I have allergies in the spring and I am miserable and would hate for them to go through that.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Medicine (I prefer herbal medicine) is offered/used as a last resort. I let it run its course or offer/use natural remedies first.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i also try not to give meds only as a last resort! i prefer to let things run its course it normal is over faster that way then with meds!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I like using food as medicine! Lots of curative edible stuff out there. Medicine as a last resort, I'm supposedly "mentally ill" but i don't pop bunches of pills for it, I just kinda get over it.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 2:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We use herbals and food as much as possible to heal what ails us. When all else fails then we will give OTC or prescription meds. My children are 5 and 3 years old and both have only ever been to the doc 2 times for things other then regular well child visits and only once has either one had an antibiotic.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My husband and I try not to take any medication unless absolutely necessary. The same goes for our children.
    collegemom123

Answer by collegemom123 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010