Would you let your kid be friends with the dirty kid in school? He/she is a very nice kid, but you are aware that they come from a very dirty home & have had a history or some headlice..

Not a personal situation.. just a question.

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 2:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Sounds exactly like the type of kid who could use a good friend. :) With any luck, I can raise my children to reach out to kids like that.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• GREAT question Momma...I have to seriously give this some thought. I kno what the right thing to do is but can I let my child live with the ill effects from it? uug!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes. I was friends with the dirty kid in first grade, she had no other friends, it wasn't her fault.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yes, because its not the kids fault where an how they live.
    davecswife

Answer by davecswife at 2:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, I would. I believe in teaching my children to be friends with people no matter what they look like or where their from, etc. It would be teaching my child to judge people by not encouraging a relationship whith a child who comes from a "dirty home".
    RenoMama

Answer by RenoMama at 2:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes.

The child living in a "dirty home" would be no reflection on the child, the type of personality the child has, what my child see's in them in regards to friendship..ect..

My thinking is. A child has (especially a young child) has no control over the environment in which they are being raised. Why hold them responsible, or discriminate against them due to it..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes. And head lice doesn't make them dirty. Some kids really have a real problem with it! I got sent home EVERYTIME they did head check at school! I wasn't dirty, neither were my parents. Also my oldest went through the dirty kid stage around 10. He wouldn't wash his hair, hated showers, and tried to wear his dirty shirt every day because that was his fave. Now he's MR. Cleanand Perfect for the girls, lol.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would never step in and decide who my child can and can't be friends with - dirty, clean, or whatever... My children have the right to choose who to be friends with - I don't get that option...

Now, that said, if I felt their home life was putting them in danger, or putting my child in danger, I would step in and do my best to make sure the situation changed... Talking to the parents or calling CPS may not buy me any popularity points, but if a child's welfare is at stake to the extent where they are getting lice repeatedly, I would see it as worth it...

It's also worth noting that lice doesn't equal dirty... I had lice TWICE my senior year of HS. and it had nothing to do with a dirty home... It had to do with exposure. Plus, lice actually prefer a clean head over a dirty one.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• nope, im afraid not. I do not want my child picking up dirty habits or being in a dirty home.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010