Self-Conscious 12 Y/O?

My 15 y/o is constantly commenting on my 12 y/o daughter's weight leaving her completely self-conscious of herself. I admit, she's not a complete twig like most of her friends are, but she's never been 'average' for her age. She's 5'6" and weighs, probably around 125 pounds, which is devastating for her and her dreams of becoming a modeling, because her older sisters 5'5" and is only 115. She is a 34C, which I'm positive has some effect on her weight, but she still refuses to do anything, for example swimming, when she knows that her sister is going to make fun of her body. I just don't know how to handle it! I can stop the hurtful comments, but it's almost impossible to restore her confidence back to where it was. Suggestions?!

M.O.Mof4

Asked by M.O.Mof4 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Her problems with self confidence may be prohibiting her from engaging in proactive stuff like swimming or working out.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If your daughter eats healthily then I wouldnt be concerned. All children are different and that includes size too.
    I have 4 sons and a daughter, aged 10, who is like a stick but the one rule we have is that you don't comment on someone's weight or size EVER. With so many issues to do with body image, especially for girls, we don't know what damage these comments could cause.
    I would find an activity you and your daughter could do together, such as bowling, skating that would ensure she had healthy exercise without having to show off too much flesh. Good luck.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 3:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Talk to your 15 y\o, and concentrate on making your other daughter feel good about herself... at 5'6" 125 lbs seems like a healthy weight... Why would you say that is going to devistate her modeling career? You need to concentrate on pumping her up, and if she wants to lose some weight, see what she's into, and support her!! Sorry, but, I was 5'1" at 127lbs when I was 13, and my mom made sure that I felt good about myself dispite what my twig sisters had to say... I think that should be up to you to make her feel good about herself...
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• at 12 years old most girls still have some "baby fat" left in them to loose.

I know a lot of my friends that were that age that were heavier that slimmed right out after they hit about 14.

Keep her on a healthy diet, and try different sports activities that may not be as revealing (and thus less self conscious), like field hockey, soccer, or track.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2010