I have been on Hydrocodone for like 7 yrs now from surgerys, Ra and so much other things too long too post, question is I want something else that helps for pain and energy that it gives me,and stop getting scripts for that. Does ne one know anything out there other than plain tylenol, ibu, etc..that can match the same releif I get when taking hyrocodone?For instance Herbs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• Honestly, nothing works like opiates.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You should talk to you Doc, if you have been taking HC for that long you cannot just stop cold turkey or you will have bad withdrawl symptoms. He can adjust your dose and probably recommend another option.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have totally been through this! This will not be easy. Your body is dependent on the vicodin if you are getting energy from it! You have to let it run out of your system to be able to get true, genuine energy again. Eat healthy! Balanced diet. Try Alieve and motrin for pain. What are your pain issues? Are they female? If so black cohosh can be great in some cases. It's a really tough situation. But you can do it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sounds to me like your body has become dependent on the hydrocodone, and you should get off of that medicine immediately. There are severe long term effects from taking medicines like that. It can actually ruin your liver and such. Your doctor should not have allowed you to take the medicine for that long.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Good luck. My husband was trying to get off of Vicodin and Percocet. His doc has tried Endocet & Tramadol and neither work. Have you seen a pain management specialist?
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Good luck! Honestly! I have major female problems and the minute they start I crave the pain med just to make it stop!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thankyou all! I had 5 surgerys in like a 5 year time span and yes most of it was women problems, #1 hysterectomy, then went back and removed the ovaries and neck surgery, feel like a guinea pig. The major problen honestly is that I love the way it works for me and yes have been on them for along time.I have been through withdrawels before and its aweful for sure.What can a person do for theirselves going through a detox to help with feeling like you have the worse flu ever?Anyone know what naprozen does?
    karencrouch

Answer by karencrouch at 3:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was on meds for along time due to a neck injury that required several surgeries. A couple of years ago I decided that I was sick of being on all of it and just quit. I learned self-hypnosis and coping skills to get past most of it, but I do keep pain meds around for when it's unbearable. My rule is if I have to take any meds 2 times in a row I will not take anymore for 48 hours, because I do not want to depend on them at all.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• the only natural pain relief I can think of is chiropractor/chiropractic adjustments or even accupuncture/accupressure....massage therapy may also help you.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Naprosyn is an NSAID. It might help with the RA pain. If the pain you are feeling is mostly from the RA there are lots of treatment options. Oral meds like methotrexate, injectables like Enbrel or Humira, even Gold. Have you asked your Dr. about a medical detox? Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010