When a guy was 17 years old, he had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend. Her mom found out & turned him in & now he is on the sex offender list.. He's now about 24, would you allow him around your kids?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 3:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• 17 & 15 are in the same age category to me. I would not see him as a threat to my kids.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes. This is just one more reason I hate the "sex offender" registry...

Urinating in public can land someone on that list as well... Not that I think people should just whip it out and pee, but there is more than one "handicapped" person on that list because of this offense... If they aren't convicted of an actual sex crime, they shouldn't be on the damn list... I know more than one person on the list, and none of them are there because of "sex crimes" any worse than she was 15 & he was 16...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Absolutely... I see NOTHING wrong with a 17 year old boy having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend... And for the mother to do something like that is dispicable, I think. That poor kid is going to have that "sex offender" label hanging over his head for the rest of his life, and for what? It's stupid.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• This topic kills me!!! I find this beyond unfair to a teen boy. For the rest of his life he MUST register as a sex offender for dating a girl a few years younger!! it's crap! he gets this reputaion and EVEY stranger thinks he is some horrible child molester!! This law needs to be revamped!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Doesn't someone have to be 18 for that? It sounds fishy to me
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• This might be fiction.
    usually the girl is a willing participant,...so I would not worry about the boy.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If I knew that was actually what happened in the situation then I wouldnt be worried with him around my kids. I would want to verify that is what really happened though.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yeah, I have heard of situations like that, a friend of my SO's is also on "the list" for the same thing. I think it is unfortunate, however in those cases I don't see a predator that is going to try to do something with my kids, it was a decision he made with a girl that was older. It is sad that it happens like that but it does.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 3:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would need way more info on the person before making that decision. It is possible he is perfectly normal and safe. Its also possible he is not. Depends on the person.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 3:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I live in IL and this same thing happened to my friend's boyfriend. It was consensual, but he was 17 and she was 15, her mom found out and he is on the sex offender list. My friend and her bf have kids together and he still has issues with it, I think that it is ridicules and if you know the guy well it should be fine
    sweetpea8973

Answer by sweetpea8973 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010