Define Self Respect - In your own words...

I want to know what "Self Respect" is in the minds of others. Because after reading some of the answers on here I have to assume that I have a completely different idea about this than most of you...

So, what do you think? What is "Self Respect" to you? What does it mean? And why are so many so quick to decide whether or not others have it?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Self respect is knowing what is right for you, never letting anyone use you, never doing anything that you have to cover up or lie about, never seeing sex as a way to "get something" whether it be money or attention, knowing that sex and love belong together and not letting anyone change your mind about that, having true values, always being truthful so that you can look yourself in the mirror and be proud of your own behavior. That is part of it....I will think of more later I am sure. LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity for your life and others .Respect your efforts to be the best you can be. All leads to self-discipline. When you have these firmly under your belt, that's your real power of "Self-respect " .
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• To me... Self respect is respecting yourself, whatever you think respect is... So, that kinda changes for each person...
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Never compromising yourself and what is important to you, for anyone else.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• "self respect" : conforming to and being happy with your own choices. Always doing what is right for yourself, and standing your ground.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 9:50 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Self-respect is about doing what you need to do: to be healthy, to be happy, to be at peace.

That is more or less the opposite of doing what you're entitled to do, what you fear you'll be shamed for not doing, of feeling left out if you don't join in, or of not being bothered because it's boring or stupid or people might think something if you do...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2010