Do you get the pain scale that they use now?

In the E.R they have a pain scale..... Everyone experiences pain differently, so how are they supposed to use it? I mean I just don't get it.... like they are going to better tell just cause I put a number on my pain.... I honestly don't even know how to "rate" my pain, I think it is just dumb..... What about you do you get it? Also how are our children supposed to be able to tell a doctor how much pain they are in... I mean my son told them once that it hurt a million times and that means that he would be dead.... according to the pain scale.

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• i don't know!!!!! after i had my daughter i had them give me perkacet every 4 hours and motrin every 6 so i wouldn't have to feel my uterus cramping/shrinking....they kept asking me my pain level and i didn't know how to answer them. it hurts a lot now, i'm not sure if it's gonna hurt more later...i can't put a number on something if i have nothing to compare it too...they should have 4 levels. it doesn't hurt, it hurts a little, its really starting to hurt a lot, and holy hell that hurts!!!
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• After I have had an all natural birth I cant hardly gage pain anymore nothing hurt even close to that!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 3:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No standard.
    A 7 could be a 10 to someone else.
    I know people that make a 2 sound like a 10.
    Makes no sense.
    I wonder if they use these numbers when they need to go to court for bodily injury cases.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Did they get rid of the smiley face scale? that was funny....1 time my husband went in the er bc he cut his finger really bad, and they made him point to the face that showed his pain....hahahahaha.....thats sad face right there dr! thats how I feel :(.....lol
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I also think the pain scale is sort of silly. I had two induced labors and never said my pain was higher than about a 6 or 7 at the very worst. I didn't want to say 10 and then have it get worse! I don't know what else they could do though, since only you can feel your own pain and some people handle it better than others. There's no possible way to measure someone else's pain.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It is dumb, but what else r they supposed to do? You have a better idea?
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Our hospitals use cartoon faces to rate pain

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thepain scale at my hospital has faces on then 10 is crying, lol i always say my pain is a damn 10, i think its dumb of them to ask,
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• right lol pain is pain.... doesn't matter how much it hurts it cricking hurts!
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• RIIIGHT????? I KNOW LOL DUMB :D
    agriffinmom4

Comment by agriffinmom4 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010