Why do Catholic Church make u answer these questions b4 getting married?

So df n i were thinking about getting married through a Catholic Church, hes Catholic but im not, well we were planning to wed at the same Church my sis got married in, She n tells me we need to attend these meetings & she was also telling me that on one of the last meetings they give you a questionaire to fill out , fiance in one room& u in another, same questions, like when was ur last fight, what are your main priorites& financial situation, she sd that these questions make u think about a lot of things & how u n fiance see things,idk but i just think that is pretty dumb of them to ask(not trying to offend anyone) but the way i see it is u are not supose to try n predict what ur life will be of course u will have plans n goals but what if things dnt go that way? Does anyone think its right for them to ask?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, you're there for premarital counseling.

The questions they are asking you are directly related to your ability to have a successful marriage.

If the church feels you're not ready they aren't obligated to marry you. You're asking them to provide a service, so you have to meet thier qualifications.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• They are just trying to make sure that you are ready for marriage...not that asking a bunch of questions EVER makes you ready...and it might give you new things to thik about and concider berfore taking the plunge.
    Kimberly1879

Answer by Kimberly1879 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Most churches used to make you go thru marriage couseling before getting married or have you go to a class. It is a way to see how many areas you are in agreement on and talk stuff out before you get married. It just gives you ideas of things to discuss. Its nice to do a few things to plan for marriage. It is a lifetime commitment and should not be taken lightly.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I got married in a Catholic church and never did this...I went to the Pre cana (sp?) classes but I really don't think I did this. I think it's pretty strange. I'm going to have to ask my grandma if they do this at the church she works at! Interesting...
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 3:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thanks upsherise, u made it clear for me, thumbs up!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010