I want to see you breastfeed in public!

When I see a mom breastfeeding in public I get a little surge of pleasure. Why? Because I was given dirty looks for breastfeeding in public covered up.
So when I see a woman breastfeeding without a cover I get so happy that she has the balls to feed her child without shame or embarrassment.

I get excited that we as women are taking our breasts back for the intended purpose nourishing a baby, not as a hood ornaments for men to ogle. Every time a woman breastfeeds in public she is lessening the stigma surrounding NIP.

WAY TO GO breastfeeders!

Do you agree or not? That breastfeeding in public promotes healthy breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I agree 100%... had a woman in a restaurant ask me one time if I would mind taking my baby into the bathroom to breastfeed her...

I smiled, told her I would absolutely be more than happy to do so... Then as I stood up, I reached over and grabbed her plate and began walking toward the bathroom....

When she got all indignant about me grabbing her plate and asked me what I thought I was doing... I politely replied by saying, "Well, I just thought you might like to join us."

Her jaw hit the floor and answered me... "I DON'T THINK SO... How dare you expect me to EAT in a BATHROOM."

I simply looked at my daughter and said... "But YOU expect me to feed my BABY in the bathroom, RIGHT?... If a toilet is sanitary enough for my BABY, then it's certainly sanitary enough for YOU.... ISN'T IT???"
    Crimsonia

Answer by Crimsonia at 3:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If you are so proud, why don't you own your statement and not post anon?

I don't have a problem with it myself. I did however cover myself because some people are perverts and my breasts are private. Feed your kid when you need to. I really don;t care.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• "If you are so proud, why don't you own your statement and not post anon?"

Because I didn't want my name to turn people off of the subject. I didn't want people to think I was stirring the pot.

I AM HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE I AM THE OP OF THIS POST.
    I just didn't want the first thought people had about it to be... there she goes stirring the pot. I thought my statement had more value than attaching my name too it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I do agree that if it was more prevalent, it would lose a lot of its 'shock value". Which of course, it shouldn't have in the first place. However, I do think a woman should try to be at least somewhat discreet about it, not just wave her boobs around for everybody to see, because that would just be BEGGING for people to comment. This doesn't mean I think a woman should cover up, just not gain any unneccessary attention, that's all.

And yes, I did breastfeed in public with my son, and will do the same with the one I'm currently incubating, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I LOVE Mom's who breastfeed in public but aIso love when a woman is courteous enough to cover in case anyone might be uncomfortable.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Agreed. I think it's nice to see women nursing in public because the more we see it in public the more normal it will become to other. Then less breastfeeding mother's will get crap for nursing in public.

I don't care if you choose to cover up or not BUT I do think that you should NOT HAVE TO if you do not want to. In my experience covering a nursing baby leads to the annoyance of the blanket, can make things harder on a mom struggling with breastfeeding, and in Texas leads to a VERY hot, cranky baby.

As far as covering up being "proper"....BEWAHAHAHAHAHA...seriously??? What could be more proper than using your breast a a FUNCTIONAL object instead of SEXUAL object?

Not to mention...Do any of you remember the story about the male doctor who accidently walked into a room of nursing women in the middle east? They all rushed to cover up....THEIR EYES!! Even in the most conservatively dressed culture...NIP is normal
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• YYYAAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree! I wish all women could breastfeed in public without the damn public eye acting like they are doing something wrong.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Anon, not all people see breasts as sexual objects!!!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Why did I get a thumbs down? I wasn't being mean. It was genuine. It's good to share how you feel. Nothing wrong with it. Geeze people!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010