Is it okay to use school work as punishment?

Okay my 2 girls are in the same grade same class and they have a spelling folder they have to bring home to do 3 spelling projects using their words (sentences, ABC order, ect..) and I ask them to bring them home every night so they can work on it (it's due on Friday mornings before the spelling test) and they constantly forget to bring it home. Well to day as a punishment I told them to write their words 5 times each. Is it okay to use school work as punishment?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well I agree with the others that if you use it as punishment then they will grow to dislike school in the long run. But here is the thing with what you are doing. They would be spending the same time to do the work they "forgot" to bring home any way so all you are doing is replacing the work they would have been doing with different work. As long as you don't word it as punishment then they will not think of it that way. I would then also take away TV or something as their punishment for not bringing their folders home.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would say no.. I would try to make school work fun.. You can punish them for forgetting it, but I wouldn't use it as the actual punishment.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No, it may make them not want to do schoolwork anymore and could negatively affect them in high shcool, college, etc
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Me personally.

I would not. When people in general (not just children, though children even more so) view something as a punishment, they do not want to do it. Anytime they have to do it, they will view it as punishment.. Because of this. I feel this tactic would actually turn a child off to doing school work/homework in general. In their mind, it would be viewed as "punishment". And they aren't going to want to do it, who wants to do "punishment" work, when they aren't and are being punished ? KWIM..

If a child views schoolwork/homework as a form of punishment from a young age. The older they get, the harder it would be, I would think, to get them TO do their schoolwork/homework. There's the chance they would lose interest in school and an education all together, because those things would equal "punishment" in their minds.

I would find another form of punishment if I were in your position.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Absolutely! They forgot schoolwork so they need to be reminded that it is very important. If you get them into good habits now they will have these for a lifetime.
    I would also give them an extra chore to do just to ensure they remember it next time. After all if they are tweens they are quite capable of remembering their school work.
    Not sure why school work should be fun at this age, that is more kindergarten I would think but I guess we are all different.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 3:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If you want them to hate school work...
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It was words or no T.V. it's to get them to learn the words and they don't seem traumatized. But obvioulsy I was concerned or I would not have asked huh.
    luvmygrlz

Comment by luvmygrlz (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. I don't want to burn them out on school work. But I do FIRMLY believe in making them write a hundred sentences about whatever they have done wrong.
    Tori77

Answer by Tori77 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010