Difficult Childcare situation HELP!

I have a childcare business I run out of my home. I have been watching Kyle since May,he is the youngest and is always the one that causes me the most stress as far as his separation anxiety, screaming fits for no reason and not napping. I am 9 weeks along in my pregnancy and have been presented with another mom who is in need of my services. I have to lose a child in order to take on her son. Kyles mom recently asked me if would I would start watching him full time instead of 2 days a week. I agreed but with this deep sense of dread. When I presented the situation to my husband he automatically told me to no longer watch Kyle. He can sense my stress level rise every day that I have to watch Kyle. We have both agreed this is not safe for the baby or myself. My problem is how do I be politically correct in taking on the new mom with an older/easier child and tell Kyles mom I can no longer watch him?

Nluvwitasailor

Asked by Nluvwitasailor at 12:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with Anon. Tell the mom that you will only be watching older children b/c it will be easier for you during your pregnancy. have a list of day care centers that are near by and heck maybe you can tell her that you wuld be willing to take Kyle back in a few years after you are settled in with your new baby. make it about YOU and not Kyle.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Give her enough notice, and tell her something to the effect of:

Since finding out I was pregnant again, hubby and I have decided it would be best to start thinning out my work load. Our goal is to cut 3 kids from our daycare, and unfortunately we will be doing the three younger kids, and Kyle is our youngest. I am so sorry, but can you find a new daycare by "such and such day?"
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I agree. Tell her that you are cutting back for a while. It is possible you make take kids back in the future once your stress level goes down but for right now you need to lighten the load. Also you might consider not taking on the older child unless you need the income. When your new one comes you want to be able to devote as much attention as possible to your baby, especially the first 6-8 wks (and especially if you are a first time mom!). Your baby comes first.
    mommie_2boys

Answer by mommie_2boys at 12:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• If he's the youngest, maybe you can say you decided to only watch older kids, considering your present situation. But do recommend another day care or home care center and give plenty of time to find one.
    Anonymous