Any tips on how to keep baby entertained?

My dd does not want to play on her own . She used to play on the little play mate with a couple toys hanging she can swat at and play music, but now she is bored with it and screams when I lay her down! I try to lay her on a blanket and give her toys to play with and she won' t do it. She has to have me playing with her always and prefers being held ALL THE TIME. I really need a break but I want her to be happy. Any tips on things I can do or get to keep her entertained without me RIGHT THERE? Thanks

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i just left my sons 4 month check up today and i complained of the same stuff. i have such a demanding baby. he always wants to be held by me or he screams. so i told the doctor that i sometimes put him on a blanket with toys around him and the tv on kid cartoons. when i put him down i let him fuss for a bit and he quiets down on his own. she said that was perfect for a few reasons. he might roll over quicker because he is reaching for toys, and letting him fuss lets them know you arent always going carry them. they also learn to entertain themselves. believe me, i cant stand crying but he is use to it know. he is on the floor now while i write this. i shower and cleaned yesterday while he was playing and watching tv. i finally get a break! lol good luck
    michellem7781

Answer by michellem7781 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• How old is she?
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• She is 4 1/2 months
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Do you have interactive toys?? My son, 4 months, got bored with rattles and hanging toys, but we just got him some light up and noisy toys and he loves them!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 12:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Try letting her try different textures. Give her something ruff, soft, silky, warm, and cold to play with. I think my dd liked rattles at this age. Put her in front of a mirror. I think they start enjoying tummy time around this age. Put things in front of them so that they could reach for it.

Good luck! I know this is frustrating.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I suggest an exersaucer. Between that and the floor mat mine was entertained for hours.
    Anonymous

• Oh and things that play music.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I know that everyone gives it a bad rep but the TV is awesome for that! Even when they are tiny and cant really understand what they are seeing the lights, contrast, and colors are great! Try Baby Einstien movies which are made specifically for that so that you can leave her to clean (or relax) and she can learn something and be entertained.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My twin girls use to do the same thing. I would dread putting them down to play because all they would do was cry .Try getting a play mat that has lots of color and start putting her on her belly every day. Let her lay on the mat and show her some toys, then get up for a few minutes then go back for a few minutes. If she crys let her for a few minutes then check on her. I made the mistake of picking them up every time they would cry when I put them down to play.She really needs that belly time and I know it seems like she'll never let you get a break, but it will come .
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 1:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• do u have a bouncer or swing?? my lil girl is almost 4 1/2 months n she loves it! she loves 2 play with her little duck rattler!!!!
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 3:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2008