Getting on the breastfeeding in public bandwagon, question for those who feed in public...

First, let me say that I am 100% all for BFing wherever you like, doesn't bother me or my kids, who know all about it. I bf'd DD until she self weaned at 13 months and DS went well beyond age 2. That being said, I was a modest bfer and never did it in front of anyone except DH and a very close friend, and with her, I used a receiving blanket. Except ONE time, we were at the zoo, and I had to BF in public, so I found the most out of the way bench and covered up with a receiving blanket. I was SHOCKED at how the very few people that passed by treated me. Re-directing their children and looking away with annoyance on their face (and I was covered!). So, NOW when I see other BFers, I feel this need to give them a knowing and positive glance or encouraging word...but I don't want to stare and make her feel uncomfortable...for those that feel the same as me, what do you do, if anything, when you see a bfing mom in public?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 3:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• when i see a mom bf in public, it feels me with joy. i smile at her and congrats her for a awesome job she is doing.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I give her a knowing smile to let her know I've been there, done that
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I give her a wink and a smile.

I had a lady and her mom walk by once while I was feeding my baby and they both gave me a thumbs up... I thought it was too funny.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I generally at least make eye contact, unless we're in an environment that makes conversation justifiable. In which case I generally offer up a word of encouragement.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It is odd how people react to a nursing mother...I have had a woman ask me to lift up my nursing pancho so her daughter could see....I had and older woman just lift my nursing pancho because she wanted to see the baby...I have had people tell me that I should go to the bathroom to nursing my baby because I was making their husband uncomfortable! (I never nurse without being totally covered up either!)
    mum2Jack23

Answer by mum2Jack23 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I love seeing it! Breastfeeding is awesome. Thumbs up is a good idea, but I usually just smile and look approvingly...lol
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Over the summer, I saw a mom nursing at the beach. Told her that i think what she's doing is great and am glad she didn't feel the need to go off somewhere and hide. Then gave her a thumbs up. She seemed so happy :) Also mentioned that it'd have made my day if someone had said something like that to me when I was nursing my babies on the beach- or anywhere really.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't care what people think anymore. If they don't like it they can piss off. If they do find it somehow, disgustingly arousing they can go buy a magazine. Pervs.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Nothing. I don't pay attention.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Just smile
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 3:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010