For christians, do you believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child"?

thismamacooks

Asked by thismamacooks at 3:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband and I raised our children by the standards of the Bible, and we did spank them. The amazing thing was that we found we seldom needed to do it once we had established our parental authority based on Biblical teaching. Our children are now 40, 37, and 33 and they have all turned out exceedingly well, so I highly recommend the pattern which we followed.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The rod can be symbolic too. It doesn't neccesarily mean you believe in hitting your child. The rod can stand for discipline, or self control, morals, rules etc.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, I do. What the Bible is referring to is discipline. Children need consistent discipline in order to grow into the kind of responsible, loving, self-supporting, honest people we would be proud to call our children.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Not Christian... But yes, I do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with musicmom and NannyB! We do spank, yes, but we've found that we have to do it less and less as our relationship with our children grows and we cultivate respect.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• NannyB has it, as did the pp. We will spank, but usually establishing authority doesn't require it all the time. We'd rather teach our ds to respect our word, before being good to avoid physical punishment. Different 'offences' call for different approaches, sometimes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The phrase "spare the rod spoil the child" is found nowhere in scripture.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No. We don't believe in physical punishment. I prefer to handle things differently. Time outs are the way we discipline most of the time.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes definetely, but I agree 100% with what NannyB said. Thats our household.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I also agre w/ NannyB. I
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010