Is it normal for a mother to be scared about sending their 4 yr old to pre-k?

leeniesmom230

Asked by leeniesmom230 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes! my little girl wil be 4 in Dec. and hasn't been to any kind of school, but we are loking into prek for her now too, and it scares the crap out of me! LOL
    MyMariah

Answer by MyMariah at 1:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Yes. My son is 4 and has never been in daycare or preschool. The thought of dropping him off at school freaks me out. I feel bad, because next year he will be going to kindergarten and he's never been away from me. I'm thinking about enrolling him in pre-k in January for only a couple of hours a day a few days a week. Even the thought of that brings tears to my eyes.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Its normal. My son is 3 years old and last week was his very first day of preschool.you know i was so scared. i worry is he alright has he been getting along with the other kids is he learning things so on and so forth. I promise it gets better and even though my son has cried a couple mornings he has actually started loving it.
    BananaHoagie

Answer by BananaHoagie at 5:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You bet! You are entrusting your most precious child to someone you are not related to - nor do you probably know where they live! Confirm with the school that until you are comfortable, you may "pop by". Or see if they have a waiting area so that you may be close by but not disturb the class. It will take you a couple of days to relax a bit - it is a little unnerving that you are not the primary person teaching your child and that you cannot monitor their every movement.
    MomonFifth

Answer by MomonFifth at 6:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My son is 3 and when he started preschool i cried and i was a nervous wreck.
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 6:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2008