How do you get rid of head lice?

My cousin's little girl has had it 3 times this year so far.

Cherryblossum32

Asked by Cherryblossum32 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• out mayonaise on her head, and a big ziploc bag over her hair, make her sleep with it in overnight, and wash it the next morning with dish soap..i swear it works..my sister and i used to get headlice alot when we were littl (a lot of nasty people went to our school), and our mom did this to us, and we never got headlice again...ever.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• sorry, that was supposed to be *put
    mom_to_kenzie

• Oh wow thats great i'll have her try it!
    Cherryblossum32

Comment by Cherryblossum32 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have read that Tea Tree shampoo will kill them, and blow drying hair will as well. I wash my childrens' hair with it every few days or once a week, change their bedding regularly, and clean or put their stuffed animals in the dryer as a precaution so they do not get it. If she is continuing to get it, maybe they have not gotten rid of all the eggs. Vacuum the furniture, clean the bedding and toys, use RID, and the nit comb, and then follow up in about a week with RID again, as the eggs will have hatched by then. Also, do not share clothing, hair combs or hats or anything like that.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thanks ladies!
    Cherryblossum32

Comment by Cherryblossum32 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Use RID, make sure you comb the hair thoroughly to remove all the eggs and any live bugs left. Wash ALL bedding, clean all carpets, bag up any stuffed animals or toys with soft, porous surfaces. Leave them in the bags for a while, just to make sure they're all gone.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thanks!
    Cherryblossum32

Comment by Cherryblossum32 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010