In your opinion, what steps could be taken at hospitals/dr offices to prevent a nurse or doctor from accidentally overdosing a patient or giving a patient the wrong medications? Obviously this is still a problem, after a few news articles I have read recently. Just this morning it was reported that a nurse at a Children's Hospital has given a newborn infant an overdose of calcium chloride that was 10 times the recommended dose. Sadly that infant did not make it. What would YOU suggest as a safeguard for this happening? I will post links below to recent articles IF you want to read about it. Also what do you think should happen to the doctors/ nurses who make these fatal mistakes?
Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010
Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010
In our facility, the vast majority of medications are unit dosed and the EXACT ordered dose is dispensed (I work in Nicu and Picu). In addition, EVERY drug and dose is double checked by 2 RNs, both for new orders and each individual dose. Further, most of the drugs dispensed by pharmacy are placed in a locked computer system. There are so many points along the way for errors to be resolved before reaching the patient. Drugs and drugs preparation are considered "red box" procedures, although with the pace of HC today, those objectives are rarely met. From everything I have ever heard or been told, nurses are rarely sued, as clients usually go for the deep pockets-the hospital!
Answer by Sisteract at 4:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010
Answer by Rnurse at 4:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010
Answer by michaux at 4:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010
Answer by Rnurse at 4:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010
Answer by Rnurse at 4:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010