How long does it take...

For a divorce to get finalized...on average?
And how long does a custody battle usually take?
And what makes you an "unfit" mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• my parents divorce took probably about a year. i have no experience with custody battles... and to be an unfit mother, i guess it depends on situations, but not providing a clean safe house and food, or abusing drugs/alcohol, being abusive (both physically and mentally), stuff like that...
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• It's different in every state. They all have different laws.
    Anonymous

• Mine was uncontested and the papers were served and filed in Nov and it was final in Jan. If there is a fight it can take much longer. It is pretty hard to prove someone an unfit mother. Drugs, excessive drinkink, neglect, that kind of thing going on and your pretty much screwed. Other than that it is hard to prove. My cousin is my attorney and he told me I was entitled to a social life but to not get carried away and give him a reason to make me look bad. So I waited until it was final before I dated. We had been living apart for over two yrs...so dating was not so scandalous had we just separated.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Mine was Aug. '94 to May. '95. So, 9 months for me.
    zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Sorry, I didn't finish your question. 9 months to finalize the divorce. A custody battle could go on for a really long time if you have the money to fight it. An unfit mother, I agree with the first post.
    zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2008