My daughter is pregnant with her second child and is overdue. She was dilated to 3 cm and now doctor says she is a 2. Has anyone heard of the cervix closing?

tperk63

Asked by tperk63 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• At 37 weeks preg i was dilated to 2 then i went back a week later and he said i was only half a cm dialated so yeah its possible
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It could be two different people measured. There isn't that much difference between 2 and 3. Or it could be that the baby is at the 2nd station.

http://www.babiesonline.com/articles/pregnancy/effacement.asp

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes it does happen. Especially after haveing other pregnancies. The cervix gets stretchy. I had this happen at baby #3 and #4. If my appointment was at the end of the day, after working I would be around 3-4, if I got checked in the morning I would be at 2. My doctor told me this himself. Dialation means nothing until you are in full blown labor anyway, or it's progressing every hour. I personally got checked more because I was high risk and my babies would sit on the cord.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The pressure from the baby all day made my cervix dialate more. When I was off my feet for a significant amount of time I would be less dialated. Sorry left that out!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• As someone else said it may be the difference from different ppl measuring but I have also seen a cervix that was dialting then became swollen so appeared to close again but this was during full blown labour (Im student midwife)
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Happens all the time which is one of the reasons I refuse internal exams before I am clearly in labor. How much "overdue" is she? the AVERAGE pregnancy is 38-42 weeks so she really isn't overdue until she hits 42 weeks. When did the first child come (the second is usually about the same)? Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless the doctor says something.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yep, if she gets tense or nervous it can clamp back down :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Also, my best friend, whom I assisted her delivery, was thick and closed at the Dr. office and she went into labor the next day. It doesn't really mean much.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010