My Man is Frustrating. A little advice?

My man decided when I got pregnant that he wanted to be the stay at home parent, to take care of our little one, keep the house and eventually home school our baby. He didn't have much in the way of job experience and therefore I am the breadwinner. I totally was on board with this, however, not long after he began his fatherly duty the house slowly became more and more neglected. I admit, I do not help out as much as I could and I am working on helping out more but with work and school and providing for a family it gets a bit daunting. Now, suddenly he has decided that he doesn't want to be the one to home school our child. Thus far he has been a big help in saving us the cost of daycare, but we were planning on home schooling due to the failing educational system. Any advice on what I should tell him to attempt to motivate him to keep the house up and want to teach our child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• If he doesn't want to homeschool, and it really sounds like he doesn't want to be home anymore, you should not try to push him to do that. Working is hard, so is staying home. It can be so draining that eventually the cost of daycare or even the child going to public school takes a backseat to saving one's sanity. You might try just talking to him and finding out what he is feeling but to me the house being neglected and him not wanting to do the homeschooling pretty much says it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with the pp. It's tough keeping up with everything, and if he's trying to keep up with the house, I'd say cut him some slack. It can be easier in the beginning because people are gung-ho for it, but then it becomes draining, just like it is for you. If he's just kicking back and letting the house go, there's more to the issue. Maybe he really needs some adult interaction? Homeschooling is a tough job, if a person's heart isn't into it, I don't know how successful it would be. I wouldn't push him into doing it if he doesn't want to, I think that sets everyone up for failure.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 5:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with both pp. You need to work this out. Good Luck!
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 10:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010