Cat and Crib!

My baby girl is due anyday now and my cat has a really bad habit.....she jumps into the crib and sleeps in it! She is the kind of cat that likes rough play so she thinks punishment is play time, and spraying her with a squirtbottle doesnt work either. my bedroom door doesnt have a latch...........what to do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pets

• They make CriB Tents for this very reason - google it :) Babies r Us has them I think
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 3:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Get your door fixed. It won't stop. You can't train them. Also don't be suprised if kitty goes in there and pisses after the baby is born and has slept in there. I have dealt with this twice, with two different cats(never had problems with them before), and two different babies.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• you are going to have to figure out a way to keep the door shut once baby is here. Cats have a one track mind when it comes to something they want so I would set something against the door to keep it shut or shut the cat in another room at night
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Before baby was ever born, we did set the crib up and never just let ours in there. We always kept the door closed and have never allowed her close to that room.... You could do something like using aluminum foil or something around the crib they hate...
    kwest_1

Answer by kwest_1 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• That happened to me as well. There was no way to stop her, SHE CAN OPEN THE DOOR to the nursery. She is a great cat. So we just threw a sheet over the crib when the baby wasnt in there, she never peed on it, and she never went in with the baby.
    I wish you luck in this!!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We set ours up and whenever we saw the cat in there we would take her out. We kept doing that. She got the hint and stopped doing it. If you get a crib tent. Make sure it fits your crib. Well it said one size it did not fit the crib. My SIL's brother took off the door to the baby's room and put on a screen door that they could lock the cat out.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We made a screen door out of 2x2s and screening to keep our cats out of the baby's room. It worked great. We have 4 cats and we weren't really prepared to "see what would happen" if they were allowed free roam of his room.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Our cat loved all the baby's things like stroller, carrier, walker, etc--but never went near them when she was IN them. (Not that you want the cat hair and things in there with the baby either) I like some of the other posters' suggestions of noisemakers or screens. Best of luck on this one. I know you love your cat too.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Either find a way to keep the door shut, or get a crib tent. Even though the cat is getting in the crib now, she may be scared of the baby and not get near the crib once you bring the baby home.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The crib tent is a good idea and of course shutting the door so the cat cannot enter would be good too. However if you want to make your cat dislike the crib try lining it with contact paper or shelf liner. They hate when their feet stick to things and their fur too so when she jumps on it and it's sticky she won't like it any more.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 1:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2010