moms of siblings.. when one of your kids is crying, does another one copy?

my middle child (2 in december) i swear is like my oldest's (4 in october) shadow! she loves her big sister soo much! big sister just fell off her bike and was crying, and she decided to sit on the floor and hold her leg as if it hurt too and "fake cry". she has done this since she was old enough to understand "copying". lol its cute but just curious do all siblings do this? now my middle and my youngest, on the other hand, don't have that bond yet. my middle baby is actually quite mean to the baby sometimes! :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• And in the case of my children, if one is acting up, the other follows. It works both ways, the older copies the younger if the younger is being naughty. I think they have meetings about how to best make Mommy crazy. But, when one of them is super sweet, they both are. But my kids are a weird intuition about each other already. My daughter can tell me if my son is having a bad day when he is a school and she is at home with me. And my son has been known to ask about his sister when he is away from home when she is sick or something like that that he didn't know about before he left. I don't know, my kids are little mirrors of each other in actions and emotions and they are years apart.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• unfortunately.... That one phase is true.

One cries, they all cry
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, it's like that in my house....I have a large bottle of Advil.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No - my son is 6 and my DD is 15 months so if she's crying, he will usually try to make her feel better. And my 6 yo hardly ever cries, but once or twice when he's had a melt down, my DD just stares at him like he has three heads or something.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• They used to do that but then one day they just stopped.
    trish_27

Answer by trish_27 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No. But one starts being bad and showing out in public one or two of the others will try to copy them.
    Tori77

Answer by Tori77 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• At times they do!
    kkleywegt41

Answer by kkleywegt41 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• lol sometimes they did that when they were little
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• That's curious to me; I've not had that happen. Mine are older now, too: 15,13, and 10. Maybe it was the age difference.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 6:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I just babysat my 9 month old nephew, and my 2 year old daughter was very empathetic to his moods. I can see the good and bad in that being a constant issue. If they didn't care about each other very much, they probably wouldn't do it. It could also be that the mimcking sibling is trying t compete for attention though...not sure.
    ndvolz

Answer by ndvolz at 6:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010