Okay here goes..

I have been caring for my granddaughter off and on since birth from 3 days a week to every day, depends on her schedule. Im a sahm and have a son 15 too. 4 kids in all.Anyways to the debatable ? Shouldnt I get paid something for it? She would have to pay like 4oo a month at day care maybe over a 100 if she could qualify for help with daycare.She makes good money but makes me feel quilty for asking for anything from her and I have never said no to her once on anything to help her.The other grandmother wouldnt ask this of me is what she tells me.I never get to see her and granddaughter on just a grandma basis..is this right? I love being with her but do not want this full time and could use some x-tra cash myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you watch her all the freaking time, yes I think she should pay you something. She's taking advantage of you.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My Grandparents babysat for me and I payed them. They charged me half of what I would have paid for daycare: $100 a week. I am guessing she is your daughter in law.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 4:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My mom watches my two nephews and my sister pays her for it!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• She is taking advantage of you - she should pay you something!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I know someone who used to pay her mom to watch her kids. She said she wasn't making any money, because she was paying her mom more than what she made at her job. My MIL LOVES having my son, but she is not afraid to say no. When my son was 6 months to about 2, she took him twice a week, so I could work. As he got older, her became more of a handful and the 2 days was a lot on her. I started to nanny, so she only took him on Mondays after that and my SIL would watch him on Wednesdays. My parents only take him on the weekends. My mom is in her 70s and my dad(younger) is the one who pretty much ends up watching him when he's there. Don't feel bad. Maybe say: "you know, I was thinking about getting a PT job, but maybe if you could pay me $x/wk I can watch granddaughter instead." Or say it's becoming too much and you can only take her x amount of days per week. Maybe you can suggest other grandma watch her the other days
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No she is my dd and doesnt want anyone to watch her but me.Long story behind it but to make it short,When she got pg she just started college and sadely barely knew the father,,one of those college partys seriously.She was going to put the baby up for adoption but her family and I talked her out of it and the dads parents too.to the point, I told her if she kept her that I would help her care for her. She is doing well finacially has her own place now and is soo thankful for her decision to keep her dd but will not give me a break..I have her brother still at home im not old..I would like to go back to work myself but she said she would start paying me weekly, that was months ago never see one dime and the things she ask of me is unbeleivable to help her with.Yes shes my dd and granddaughter but enoughs enough..I can even call her when shes on her way to get her dd and ask her to bring me something from the store she gets mad
    karencrouch

Answer by karencrouch at 4:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Just ask for very little at that..selfish, ass kids is what it is.
    karencrouch

Answer by karencrouch at 4:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Once in a while, or during a particularly rough patch, I could see taking her kids without some sort of compensation. My mother in law watches my kids occasionally. The most ever is like 8-10 hours a week. Other than that, my husband and I work opposite schedules so we don't have this problem. If she has something going on, she says she can't do it. If she simply doesn't feel like it, she says so. We have offered to pay her, but she doesn't work so she says it isn't a burden and she doesn't do it enough to justify payment. However, if she took them 20-40 hours a week, I would feel awful if she didn't take something from us. I think its weird that she doesn't offer.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• She should totally pay you! Your granddaughter is NOT your responsibility, she is your daughter's. You are doing her a favor. I would charge her a little less than a daycare, but she is totally taking advantage of you!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• When my mom watched my children I always paid her, she watched them while I worked. She had her own daycare so it was nice to have family be able to care for them while I had to work.
    I don't see any reason why shouldn't be paying something. I can't even imagine not paying for child care regardless of who is doing it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010