Do your toddlers play alone?

My daughter, 2 1/2 will play without a partner, just never in a room where she is alone. If I go into the kitchen, she follows me. Even if my husband is home and in the room with her, she will come with me. She comes with me into the bathroom also, even if there is someone else with her. She refuses to play alone in her room. She will play in her room if me or her brother go in there with her, but never alone. She hates being alone, even for a second. She is very clingy to Mommy, and always has been. She and her daddy are close too, but she doesn't cling to him like she does me. Is this normal for her age, or should she be exerting more independence? She wants to dress herself and feed herself and groom herself and things like that, so she is independent in that regard. She is just constantly on my tail. I don't spoil her in the attention department, but I don't deprive her either. I am sure if this is a phase or more?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry, I am not sure if this is just a phase or something more?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Comment by Mom1Stepmom1 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My son was 14 months when his brother was born, so he didn't really have tons of time to be an only child. But he would play alone as long as I was IN the same room. If I switched rooms, he would follow me. I didn't have to be playing with him though, I could simply be there and that was enough... But at those ages children don't completely understand that when you leave the room you're still there, and they don't want to be all alone, so it's normal for them to want to at least be in the same room as you or someone else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• In my case it was a phase, When my oldest was around 2.5 she was the exact same way. We always had family time but there were times when hubby and I wanted to watch our shows on tv, and we'd put dora on for her and she'd still wander out. She never ever wanted to play in her room, even though that was where all the toys were. She's almost 4 and now she will play in there, but not for very long. My 2nd child and a few of my friend's kids will play independently all day if they could, though. Just depends on the child and I'm sure she will grow out of it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• mine is three
    sometimes she will play by herself but she used to play by herslef all the time
    she has autism, so very glad she is playing with others now, and yes, she can be on my tail all the time too=THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the other side could be
    plays alone and is not on your tail, could have autism so severe that she does not want to be on your tail
    could be sitting in corner staring at ligts, or spinning things and not caring if anyone trys to engage her

thank your lucky stars
    i have
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My DS is generally good at playing alone with me there and away from him. Like most 2 1/2 yr olds his attention span is small...so after 5 min he will come find me..I just have to encourage him and he is good at going back. This said i trained him from birth. I researched helping your child become independant. Which I think was helpful....
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• DD is in the middle. Sometimes she will play by herself in her room, other times she will play by herself only if I am in the same room as her. I think what your child is doings pretty normal, nothing to worry about.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My son is the same age and the EXACT same way! I thought I was reading a post about him, lol. I'm hoping it's just a phase. My FIL said DH was like that at his age too...he's not very social when I think about it either,LOL!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• you just have to keep putting her in there to play. the key is be where she can see you and talk to you so she wont feel alone. this phase comes and goes
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2010