I can't believe it! taking advantage of lonely people

I can't believe what I just saw in TV. Advertisement for a hotline that provides "a listening ear". They literally say, that there's "always a friend for you, anytime you want". And it costs .... 50 euro cent per minute! Which is 40-45 US cent, or something. I find it outrageous! There are several other help hotlines here you can phone. Why do they have to take advantage of shy, lonely or even desperate people?!

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• You can rent a friend here in the state where I live also.It's a new thing.I see where it has its good points and its bad points.But we don't have to agree with it.Some of these people are allowing themselves to be taken advantage of.They are all consenting adults and hopefully all know what they are getting themselves in to.I say to each his own.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 7:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It's a new market. In Japan you can actually "rent" friends for the day. From a business sense it is taking advantage of the lonely, but some lonely people just want to be able to talk to people on their terms without commitment. It's kind of like therapy over the phone or non-sexual 900 number. I don't necessarily see it as bad, although I would hope these people still try to make normal friendships.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 4:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have heard stories of men hiring prostitutes more to sit and talk and have the company more than for the sex. I'm not saying they don't have sex, but it does happen. So this really doesn't suprise me. I'm a good listener, maybe I could work from home! lol JK
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Because in capitalism EVERYTHING is a commodity. Even lonliness.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• There are already ppl who make money off this..it's called therapists:)
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 4:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It helps to say things to people and you do not want to say some things to people you know. I feel this might be a legitimate field. But I would think that it would be necessary to insure privacy. People pay for everything why not this?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Because people are selfish and money hungry and don't care what they do as long as it makes their pocket book big
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• *Because SOME people*
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• That's really sad. I agree with mommy of two - some people have no shame.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• good point of view, sabrinbean
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010