Lactating NOW? TMI for some... adult content

You ladies are a wealth of information so heres my question. I have not breastfed for about 6 months now. Ive had NO milk to speak of for about 5 which is fine since my son is old enough not to need it now. BUT in the last week, I have been seemingly lactating again. I mean, my breasts are a little swollen but not hard or anything, if I touch my nipples, I get milk. And yes its milk, I tasted it. Does this make sense to any of you? Could I really be relactating now after so long being dry?

Aqua_Jen

Asked by Aqua_Jen at 4:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• Could you be pregnant again? When you have 2 pregnancies close together, your milk never really goes away and you lactate throughout your pregnancy.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The first reply is wrong. Your milk actually does dry up and revert to colostrum when you are still lactating and become pregnant. You don't make milk until after the placenta detatches at birth. Before that it's colostrum.

The body isn't designed to stop nursing suddenly. It's designed to slowly wean, cutting out one feeding once in a long while over YEARS. If you don't want to continue producing milk, do your best not to stimulate your breasts. Even the stimulation of foreplay if there is breast play can cause the milk to come back in.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I took a test last week and it was negative so I dont think Im pregnant. Ati, so if there is no milk before birth, what is the milky leakage that a lot of women have before the baby is born? Is that all colostrum? Im sorry if I sound naive or stupid, Im just slightly confused.
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yep, it's colostrum :) You don't sound stupid, you have good questions :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If Id known it was colostrum, Id have pumped it and saved it since I had so much! Oh well... ok well if its just my body easing itself into post lactation mode, I can deal with that. Thanks!
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010