Are social interactions important for a 2 year old??

I have a 2 year old DD and a 9 month old DS and I'm too tired most of the time to get out...and I'm worried that DD is underdeveloped when it comes to social situations. She plays with DS but he's the only other kid that she sees for most of the week...I'm thinking about putting her in Early Head Start but I'm not very trusting of people so I'm teaching her ABCs and counting myself. But I feel bad about keeping her closed off and distanced from other kids....what should I do??

moore_me03

Asked by moore_me03 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to find a play group. My gym or Little gym type of groups are helpful or just any park play group so your dd and ds are used to being around kids their age and other adults. It can be a real shock going to school at 4 or 5 and leaving mommy after being with you for so long.
    Anonymous

• Look for MOPS or a parent involved Early Childhood program which allows you to be with her as well as her with other kids.
    qvmmommy

Answer by qvmmommy at 1:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• It is very important for kids to interact socially with other kids. This is more important that learning ABC's and 123's. They need the social skills before all the other stuff. I strongly recommend a play group or putting her in some type of daycare once a week. Just to get her socialized and learn how to interact with other kids.
    Anonymous

• My 2 year old was used to being with a lot of kids several times per week. After we moved, there was about a 3 week period when she saw not a single other kid. She now sees kids about once per week. I can tell that it is much harder for her jump right in and play with others. I definitely think she wouldn't be able to interact with kids if she didn't see them a lot. Especially right after that 3 week period of not seeing other kids, she seemed very shy and clung to my legs.
    blueridgemama

Answer by blueridgemama at 4:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i think it is very important. my husband and i enrolled our 2 yr old daughter in daycare because she has no one to play w/ except her 3 month sis who doesnt do much. she only goes mon thru fri 8-5 but she learns thing, does crfts and plays with children her age.
    mamabear2410

Answer by mamabear2410 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2008