Tooth Brushing...Ahhhh!!!!

Okay, so my son got his teeth starting at 8 months and i was brushing them with that little finger thing until 12 months, then i got a baby toothbrush. he was fine with it until lately when he refuses to open his mouth for me to brush. i try and make it fun and all, but it doesn't work. Anyone have ideas as to what to do? should i go back to the finger brush? i need to brush his teeth (he only has 6) and he has to get used to it, i'm just at a loss. i dont want brushing to be a bad thing that he hates. I dont think he's teething so thats not why

kh717

Asked by kh717 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put toothpaste on my sons brush and let him do it himself. He's 15 months old now and more or less just chews on the brush but it gets him familiar with it and used to the habit. It works great so far.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I gave her her own brush with toddler paste on it and let her go. Then, later she would let me brush them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have DS 2,4,7, and 14. If you don't have older then try DH. Let them do it by themselves chewing on toothbrush then when DH is done do a onceover on his then do once over on childs. Maybe if they see you and DH do eachpthers may be more apt to let you do theirs and them you!
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well..unfort it does not get any easier unitl they are 3/4 (so I'm told) BUT..what helped me was buying one of those spinbrushes and let them choose it. I also sing a favorite song while I'm doing it. DS still hates it..he's 2 1/2 but we struggle through. Our dentist says it's totally normal and he will not do a good job until he is 4 so you have to do it for him. This said I do it and the other time I let him do it.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I got a battery powered toothbrush. I tell my DD to let me get her sugar monsters, that I only have 30 seconds to get them or they will take all her teeth!Then I brush them, she helps me count (its usually for around a minute, not just 30 seconds), then I let her do it on her own
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• my daughter hates brushing her teeth tooth its so hard to get to her top teeth its cus there sensitive her lil gums an she bleeds idk why but dentist said its ok but i try brushing the top as much as possible
    babykathy09

Answer by babykathy09 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sing songs? I'd sing the ABCs to my son while brushing his teeth. These days, he wants to do it himself, so I give him an extra brush and we take turns brushing his teeth.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I put baby tooth paste and let him play, then I tell him that I have to brush his teeth. Sometimes he let me do it, sometimes he don't. I don't care becaue he always try to do it by himself and he's just 18 months old. Give it time and try letting him play first.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yeah let him do it then you do it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• let him brush 1st then you rebrush
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2010