how do you get the father more involved in their childs life

our daughter is only 19 months but becuase he walked out on us at 10 months i have moved on and my current boyfriend took the father role in her life but she has tons of pics with her father andnow he want to become more involved but doesn't fight for his chances to be with her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he says that he wants to become more involved in your child's life and development, I suggest that you and him draw up a preliminary custody plan together. That way, the situation can work out for the both of you. Explain that the agreement means that both parties stick to the plan barring extenuating circumstances (illness, etc). If he can't stick to it and only wants to come around when it suits him, then I would take this to custody court in order to make it legal and binding.

It sounds like he needs to understand that parenting is a full-time job, not like looking after someone else's kid when you can give them back to the parents when the fun is over. He has to understand that he has to take the good with the bad and be a consistant entity or not be there at all.
    tizzanny

Answer by tizzanny at 1:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I agree to sit him down and work out a schedule. Consistency is key for kids in split families.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i went through the same thing and my kids are teenagers now and he is in and out of their lives and they have no use for him. if he really wanted to spend more time with her, he would. i think some dads just say it so they want look bad. i hate to say it but if he's not trying now with someone else in the picture he probably never will. i thinks some dads do whatever fits their schedule and u have some that will do anything and spend whatever free time they had just to make sure no one fills their place and some could care less.
    drgroves

Answer by drgroves at 6:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2008