nanny, mother's helper, or cleaning maid?

I have three kids, 4, 2 and a 1 week old. My husband thinks I need a nanny, but I was thinking maybe just having someone come to clean the house once or twice. We really dont' have money for this, but my husband went back to work and I'm really behind on house work, plus the first day he went back I was going nuts trying to take care of the kids etc. So, what do you think would be most helpful but cheapest? I feel fine to do house work, but I know t hat when I over-do it I start to feel a bit of cramping and start bleeding more (like when I picked up my two yr old).

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Can't you have family or friends help you out sometimes? If you don't have the money to do it, why spend money you don't have?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• if it were me, i'd choose the housekeeper that way i'd have more one on one time with the kids
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The cramping and bleeding will end soon. Do you have any friends or relatives near by?
    Are you thinking of someone for a very short period of time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Why do you have to name it and limit what the person would do. You need help. If you do not have anyone. I would put a post on Craigslist. Be sure to ask for references.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'd definitely be all over getting someone to clean! What about a do-all helper - someone who does what you need them to the day(s) they come? Like if one day you desperately need a couple hours away, they nanny, if they come and the house is a disaster they clean, etc?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You can look into hiring an au pair. You can find one from inside the US so you won't have to pay an agency, they get $90-120 for up to 45 hours a week and they're there all day. I have had au pairs since my daughter was born and I can even help you with websites etc.
    Especially if you say you can't afford a nanny, an au pair would be great!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Forgot to mention, au pairs also help with light housework.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If you dont have any family around, (like me), then hire someone like twice a week to come and clean. You sure have your hands full...3 kids that young, yikes. If I lived near you I would help!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 4:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• ok thanks :) My sister just gave us a check so techincally we do have some money, but I just hate spending money on things besides getting rid of debt I guess. I have my mom around, but she can only do so much because she's pretty busy homeschooling and teaching. I also have friends that are helping by bringing meals to us, so we do have some help. My two concerns are that my house is a wreck and the kids are stir crazy.
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would hire a cleaning lady if I could afford it.
    mawfia

Answer by mawfia at 4:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010