Season Depression?

Do you suffer from seasonal depression? Is it worse in the cooler months or when it is really hot outside?

kamore

Asked by kamore at 4:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• I definitely feel a difference in my mood when the cold icky snowy weather comes rolling in. I'm not clinically depressed, and have no medical issues mentally but it's just that feeling of 'Why?!?!' when you wake up with a foot of snow in front of your door, a huge pile of snow in front of your driveway from the plow, the thought of bundling up both of your kids and rushing out to the vehicle. Not to mention having to warm up your vehicle for 10+ minutes just so you won't freeze your tooshy off once you get inside. Then there's the fear of getting into accidents because people can't drive in slush/ice. Or the fear of breaking down somewhere in the middle of a snowstorm. I always make excuses not to have to go outside, and will do a majority of my Christmas shopping online because I don't want to leave the house only to be jammed like a cow in a slaughterhouse inside a store.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm BPD2, so I'm always battling depression. But through the colder months, yes, I have much worse depression. My grandmother is much worse than I am, she has full blown "winter depression"

My mother has the opposite - "summer depression"

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It's part of the MDD I suffer from. I notice it is worse living in the midwest than it was living on the east coast. While I lived in Virginia, I barely had symptoms. Once I moved to WI and started experiencing bleak autumns and winters, it kicked in.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010