do you own a bully breed dog?

if so what kind... we have an American Pit Bull Terrier and absolutly love her... she is great with our son and other animals.... do you ever get nasty comments about your dog? i have and i dont like it and im not sure what to say to the people who say that kind of stuff.. any advice?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 4:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I own a boxer/American Pit Bull Terrier mix; he's an AKC Certified Canine Good Citizen, he has never shown any signs of aggression towards people or animals, and we're working on training him for a therapy dog certification so we can take him to hospitals and nursing homes.
    Just make sure your dog is 100% trained and very well socialized, and she will prove herself to the people who are receptive. The people who are negative won't ever change their minds, sad to say.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We have a Great Dane. I can't remember if they are still considered a bully breed or not. She's 8 years old and about as big of baby as they come. She'll beat you to death with her tail or lick you to death.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 4:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• there is a "stray" pitt living on my portch i love him and wish his "owners" would let us keep him he's the sweetest hing and they are so mean to him, that's why he stays at my house
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't have a 'Bully' dog, but I have a rottweiler and am sick of the bad attitude people have towards my dog just because of her breed. I think the best you can do is inform people that it's not the dog, it's the owner that makes the dog and if you raise that dog in a loving household where they are well socialized with animals and humans alike, you get a great dog from the work you put into them. Also letting them release pent up energy by playing fetch or 'working' with them really helps. ANY breed of dog can just 'snap'. It's just unfortunate that the breeds we own are portrayed in movies and tv to be the quote unquote 'badass's'.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We have a mini bulldog. She is 5 1/2 months, but she is so laid back and such a cuddlebug! She is great with kids and other animals. So far, we haven't had any negative comments. If we did, it wouldn't bother me, some people will never change their minds about certain breeds.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Not anymore. :( We had to get rid of our's when we moved. There is a city ordinance that doesn't allow pitbulls. And we had a beautiful black and white cow patch bully pit. I still miss him so much!!
    Tori77

Answer by Tori77 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If we were allowed to have pets where we live, my husband and I agreed on a bully breed. They're amazing family pets as long as they're well-bred and well-trained. Unfortunately there is a lot of BSL (Breed-specific legislation) out there that ruins the good name of great dogs simply because they were born the wrong breed. It's racism for pets. How sad is that?
    sirshay

Answer by sirshay at 9:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010