Should I be concerned?

my son's favorite toy is a large plastic spoon with slits in it. in fact he loves this thing so much he rarely puts it down, he tries to bring it to bed with him, and throws a fit if it is hidden from him. he is almost a year old and I have tried introducing other soft "lovies" like blankies and stuffed bears, but he wants nothing to do with them. I was fine with it till friends and family started making remarks about how there could be something wrong in his head. his father threatened to throw it away, but even hiding it he becomes a miserable weepy little boy, so that thought is out the window. has any one else gone through something similar?

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 12:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I worked 8 years with infants and toddlers and I can tell you that some children get attached to the strangest things! I would not be worried that your son's comfort item is a spoon. And hey its easier to keep clean than a soft item like a stuffed animal or blankie!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I think it's fine. My mom tells me my favorite thing as a baby/toddler was a wooden spoon. I slept with it and carried it everywhere with me. I have 2 graduate degrees and am a MENSA member! I think I turned out just fine! :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 12:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My oldest did this with his toothbrush. He'll probably get some odd looks, but there's nothing wrong with him and he'll outgrow it. Maybe you could start letting him help you in the kitchen so he sees what spoons are really for?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Most kids get attached to something whether it's a paci, blanket or other toy. Nothing wrong with it at all. My dd loves her sippy cups and wants to carry it around in her arm. Luckily, she's not attached to any one thing.
    Anonymous

• my son has a way with things like that too! he is 13 mo it is normal for them to have a toy that they r close to....i would def not let him sleep with it an keep tryin to introduce new things. my son loves this handle thing off of his trike an it takes me forever to get it away from him so i found something like that....it was long an str8 like that but an actual toy an he seems to play with that toy more now...sometimes it takes time
    austinzmommaz07

Answer by austinzmommaz07 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Don't let others worry you. My son loves sticks, preferrably the drumsticks that came with rockband, or stuff he finds outside. Also straws. I really think he's going to be a drummer some day! Or a cocaine addict?? OMG... no, jk.... really. I can't believe I said that. kinda funny, but sheesh! Anywyay, I took a twig to the grocery store today to keep him quiet! If your son loves his spoon, let him! He will find a new toy to love soon enough!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2008