How many of you let your kids watch the birth of thier sibling?

Just curious how many ladies here may have et thier kids watch their siblings enter the world? How did they react?

MeAndLo

Asked by MeAndLo at 4:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Absolutely, I have, it was WONDERFUL!!!!!
    One of the very best things we've done as a Family, for sure!!!
    :-D

My daughter thought it was normal and fine and good. She was 2.5 years.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I did. I gave my oldest 2 kids the opportunity to be there if they wanted to. And they did want to. It made them extremely close to their baby sister and I am so glad that we decided to do that!!
    Tori77

Answer by Tori77 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I can tell you in about 6 weeks(give or take)
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My cousin saw his sister born. He doesn't say much about it really. My bestfriend had her teen daughter in there and it was really positive.But I did see a Baby Story where the parents insisted on having their 2yo there for the whole thing. Mom was on her hands and knees screaming and crying through contractions and the toddler just sat there screaming and crying right back at her. I was just thinking,"will someone take that poor confused baby out of the room please!"
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I only have one child. Here is a bump though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I had a csection so obviously not possible but I have a friend who had a home water birth and her 3 year old was in the pool with her the alot of the time.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 4:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My son is 3 and Im hoping for a homebirth so he will be around but Im not sure if I want to encourage him to stay out/in the room obviously there will be someone there caring for him so its not like he will be left to his own devices
    MeAndLo

Comment by MeAndLo (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would let mine roam in or out. I would insist on them watching, but, I wouldn't deny them either.

As of now, I only have one. He is 14. When I have more, I hope to homebirth, but, I may not get to...we shall see.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No. I believe the only people who need to be in the delivery room are the parents who created the child and the medical staff... I kick everyone else out. Plus, my oldest is only 4 now, he was 14months when his brother was born, so even had I been open to it, I think that would have just been to young... They will be 3 & 4 when this one is born and I still just think that's a bit young.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't let a young child witness that. My full concentration needs to be focused on my labor, and I don't want to have to worry about a child hearing something that could potentially cause them to blame the baby for hurting their mommy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010