How do I keep my two boys with ADHD under control?

Yes I have two boys ages 15 and 13 that was diagnosed with ADHD when they were younger and I am having trouble keeping them under control.

eureka624

Asked by eureka624 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• They need to be under medical care... my son is 7 and he takes Concerta... He takes it about 7:00 in the morning and it wears off around 5:00... he does not take a high enough dose to make him a zoobie but it allows him to participate in school and get good grades... after 5:00 it is absolutely a chore to keep him calmed down but part of that is just his personality.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 4:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• They are both on concerts and clonidine for their ADHD.
    eureka624

Comment by eureka624 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• keep them in activites or sports so that they dont have the time to become out of control and they get alot of energy out. my bf also has adhd its trial and error with us.
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 5:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My son is 4 and nephews are 12 and 16 and all 3 have adhd. We do not medicate they are all on a special diet, and treated with caffein. We keep everything on a strict scedule/ reutine to help them stay constantly busy and know what is expected of them at all times. It helps a whole lot.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It sounds like it is time for a switch in meds. Get them in sports, keep a schedule. Kids with ADHD need routines. Take them to the doctor and get meds changed, take them to a counselor and have them taught behavioral techniques to control their behaviors. Have them reevlauated to see if they have another mental health disorder.

I would NOT suggest treating with caffeine as wildwiccan does...caffeine is actually classified as a drug and can cause all kinds of issues with the body and health. People can become addicted to caffeine and go through withdrawls when they stop using it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, I suggest getting some help with a behavior therapist.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 9:18 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• diet, dicipline, and schedule.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Structure bthey say is best, and to some im sure bit is. As a surviving single mom of three boys with ADHD, I can honestly say that lots of love, bounderies, communication, encouragement and support are what is needed. The lack of self control does get better as they get older. Please Pay very close attention if medication is the option chosen. As they get older they get to know themselves better, with the ability to identify how they feel with and without it. Be aware of long term side effects.
    wa_angel_mom

Answer by wa_angel_mom at 5:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2010