Do mornings have to be so hectic?

It seems that I have I have the worst time getting out of the house in the mornings with my eight year daughter and my 12 year old son. If they are not fighting over who sits in the from seat, they are arguing with each other about whatever.... Any suggestions to make the morning routine run smoother.

jodi122

Asked by jodi122 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• yep..make a schedule. Whoever is older sits shotgun Mon, ,Wed, Friday. On weekends rock paper scissor..one time to choose.

Want to know the best way to get teens and tweens out of bed after their alarm has gone off and they've been called ONCE... frozen marbles rolled into a bed with a warm sleepy body works wonders. Mean? maybe but I refused to continue with the 'call me 10 times' game when mine were teens. I rolled Marbles into the oldests bed once, the youngest twice and all I had to say from then on when I called them. is "if you aren't up in 2 mins marbles are coming. All I know is it worked for me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• As far as arguing about other things...sit down have a talk and tell them from now on in the mornings when you are arguing you will begin to lose priviledges..TV, games, bikes..whatever is important to them. If you follow thru everytime it works. They HATE losing their stuff,,even for an afternoon.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We have a Chevy Venture (minivan) which seats 8. My kids (mosty my girls) constantly fight over who sits in the middle seat in the 1st row behind us. So now, NO 1 SITS IN THE MIDDLE!!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You have to get organized the night before. I have my daughter lay out her clothes, we look at the weather channel to see what the weather will be and she picks out what she wants to wear. We put her backpack by the front door and make sure all her homework is inside before we go to bed. I make her lunch the night before and put it in the frig. I ask her what she wants for breakfast the night before so I can be ahead of the game. We set her alarm, and read a book before she goes to bed.
    texastornado

Answer by texastornado at 3:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I know what you mean. Tell them to take turns.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I was just wondering...were you all in my house this morning???
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• well the 8 year old should most likley not be in the front seat but just make them take turns and get stuff ready the night before.
    kristie190

Answer by kristie190 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• make them both sit in the back. if they argue too much make them hold hands, and they have to hold them at where you can see them in the mirror. my mom did that to us, nothing worse than being 11 and walking thru the store holding your 9 y/o brothers hand. for the fighting around the house we had to "kiss and make up." we also had to take turns with the front seat too, one on the way there, the other on the way home.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• first, I would suggest laying down a good morning routine. Also, another thing I do is get as much done at night as possible laying out clothes, making sure book bags are packed before bed, setting up the coffee pot to brew in the a.m., ect). As far as the seating in the car goes, I like the idea of a mon, wen, fri thing I may have to try that...I usually have 1 sit in the front seat 1 morning then the next morning its the other one's turn ( I only have 2 and they always fight over the front seat in my blazer).
    mrsstoll14

Answer by mrsstoll14 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Oh I forgot, my dd was having trouble getting up when her alarm went off so my DH moved it across the room so she has to get up to shut it off-- no more hitting the snooze. This seems to work pretty well.
    mrsstoll14

Answer by mrsstoll14 at 7:52 AM on Oct. 24, 2008