Do texting-while-driving-bans reduce crashes?

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/09/28/5193951-texting-while-driving-bans-dont-reduce-crashes-institute-says

Interesting article ...

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope it discourages people; but there are always those who feel that they are exempt, no matter what...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I should think ANYTIME you are focused on driving your chances of getting in an accident are lowered. Reaction time is a huge factor in avoiding serious accidents.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The problem is, it doesn't stop people, they just learn how to hide it. I think it's dumb and a waste of our already stretched officer's time. And it's hard to prove, too. I just think it's a loose end. Make PSAs about the dangers of texting, teach it in school that it's dangerous, people against it can make a personal decision to not do it, and to educate others around them of the dangers. But make it a law? i don't see how it will make much of an effect.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 6:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think it should be a traffic offense to use your cell phone at all while driving. But,of course,that won't stop the people who are addicted to their cell phones. They are permanantly attached to their ear, like it is a "lifeline". @@ Idiots.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Then again, how many of us have been guilty of belting out one of our favorite tunes on the radio/CD? :o) I know I have, and as a result I could not have been 100% focused on my driving.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• People are going to find something to distract themselves with while driving. I can barely talk on the phone while I drive. I can't imagine texting and driving.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It is banned in my area but I still see people texting.... I also think that dialing a cell phone while driving is just as distracting..
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 6:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• .... I also think that dialing a cell phone while driving is just as distracting..

Exactly, and that's also why it's hard to prove someone was texting and not dialing or looking at the time. Either all phone use should be illegal, or none should be. You can't pick and choose one function! I could, theoretically, check facebook and twitter on my phone and still not text. :)
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 6:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think all new cell phones should have that software that automatically shuts the phone off when in a moving vehicle. It will be slightly inconvienient, yes, but it will help those who just can't (won't) help themselves.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:16 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Making a law that limits our personal freedom never works.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010