Anyone have a little one with asthma?

I was told my daughter has asthma today (she's 15 month - almost 16 months old). Prior to this last week, I have never had any breathing issues with her. Does it really come on that suddenly? We don't smoke in front of her, nor does anyone else. There is some dust in the air here. I don't know much about it, and was hoping I could find another mommy on here who would have more answers than her doctor that I could barely understand. Thanks so much, in advance.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 5:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son was premature and his lungs were underdeveloped. We had lung issues since day 1. He was constantly sick or wheezing and diagnosed at 12 months with asthma (I too have asthma so that made him more likely to get it as well). If she has never really had an issue before I would be asking for a 2nd opinion. Usually it is diagnosed after they see an on going issue with wheezing and breathing issues.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My son is 4 now we found out when he was 3 they alot of different doctor visits. It runs in my family and almost everybody has it. Every morning for about 6six months now I give him breathing treatments and so far he has only had one attack.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 5:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, sometimes it does come on suddenly, unfortunately.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 9:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my DH has asthma, we got an air purifier, helps a lot
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• if no one smokes around him, but there are smokers in his life, then the residual smoke on clothes, skin and hair can still cause trouble. i know someone that quit eating red meat and her asthma went away. i know someone that started cleaning with vinegar and baking soda instead of harsh chemical cleaners, and asthma went away.
    keep looking into it.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i find it hard to believe that they can diagnose such a young baby with asthma so suddenly when it could be a cold or infection... but maybe.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010