How long does Breast milk last?

If I decided not to breastfeed but to use the pump...how long will the milk last in the fridge? Do you just do it once a day for that day's supply? I have no idea how that works!

wpured

Asked by wpured at 12:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3-5 days in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer (24 hours in the fridge after it is thawed) There is no way you can pump an entire days worth of milk only pumping once a day. Pumping is less efficent than breast feeding so you will probablly need to supplement with formula. Only pumping you would need to pump at least every 2 hours, then go down maybe to every 4 or so after your supply is up (at about 6-8 weeks). But, if you are not breast feeding, still getting as much milk into your baby as possible is ideal, so do what you can. Don't go crazy though, it would be near impossible to only pump. The best way to get the breast milk in is just to breast feed though.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 1:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I have never heard of anyone being able to not breastfeed but pump. You can supplement and you can try but I have never heard of this working.
    TheEyesDesire

Answer by TheEyesDesire at 1:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Keep in mind that the hormones involved in keeping up milk production are triggered by the skin-to-skin contact with your baby, and the suckling action (which I don't think a breast pump creates). So, not nursing your baby makes it harder for your body to keep up milk production. Normally, you can easily keep producing milk for three years. ... ALSO, and more important, your baby receives a LOT of brain development and emotional security development from nursing, far beyond the physical substance in your milk. Skin-to-skin, eye-to-eye communication are REQUIREMENTS for human babies. It only takes months of putting the baby first for him/her to have a wholesome personality for the rest of their life!. Besides, NOTHING is more wonderful than caring for your baby, who loves you intensely and completely. Constantly leaving him, abandoning him to someone else's arms, is a real hardship for him and changes his personality ... go to empathic parenting for extremely helpful info.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• When I went back to work I tried to pump on lunch and it killed my milk supply plus my son was slleping through the night. If you want you baby to have nothing but breastmilk you have to pump often to boost supply and if you buy the gerber breastmilk bags you can write on the outside what day it is and lay them flat in the freezer so they can be stacked.
    zaksmom8278

Answer by zaksmom8278 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2008