Is it ok to let a 2 month old fall asleep with a paifier if its not nap time?

He already took a long nap and he is very fussy. Is it ok if he falls back to sleep with his pacifier? I just started using one. Any other advise about pacifyers would be welcome.

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The pacifier shouldn't be a problem at 2 months. If your baby is fussy, it may mean that he/she is overtired. The maximum awake time for a 2 month old is 1 hour. That means there is enough time for a diaper change, feeding, and about 15 minutes of activity. After that, try putting the baby down drowsy but awake. This will encourage learning how to go to sleep independently without the use of props. If you have more questions, feel free to drop by my group, Helping Your Child Sleep! Good Luck!
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/112077
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 7:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sure! My guy had his paci constantly until he started getting his back teeth around 18 months. He chewed the heck out of paci's while teething, so i stopped replacing them. As I understand it, it's just fine to let them have the paci until toddlerhood; they've disproven that a paci causes bad teeth too.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• all three of mine use to sleep with their paci.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 5:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would remove it now before he gets any older as they are completely unnecessary, unless for a medical issue, and he will depend on it leaving you with a huge battle later on. They are called dummies in Europe and with good reason!
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 5:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• sure my son has slept with one since he was 3wks.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well, for a 2 month old, anytime they are tired is naptime... So, if you are using a pacifier for that purpose, go for it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• both my daughters used one tell they were 6mths and now new born son uses his i use the soothy pacifier
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 7:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't worry too much about pacifiers or schedules... he's still only several weeks old. Let him dictate his schedule - if he's fussy, help him get to sleep (with a paci, rocking, etc) because obviously he needs it.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It really depends on how you feel about paci's personally I didnt care for them and neither did my daughter but on the odd occasion that she was unsettled and I gave it to her I never laid her down with it it came out before I put her down, but its a personal preference, but if you dont want her needing the paci to fall asleep I wouldnt advise it.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• At two months, pacifiers are fine, even if it's not nap time.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2010