have you been on welfare and used the cash to pay for beer and cigarettes?Or do you know people that do?

i hate it that people that are on welfare assistance go get money out at the Atm from the card they get that has all there assistance money on it and they spend it on crap. i think it should be illegal to do that. of course how would the government know by the way they have it set up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• From all these messed up answers of people using/abusing the system...they need to come up with a better way so you cannot withdraw the money at an ATM and use it for cigarettes, beer, drugs and shit like that. You should ONLY be able to use it what it is meant for. How can they not figure this out?? Would it be that hard to make a card that you can't use at an ATM? Can't you take your electric bill to the welfare office and have them cut you a check for however much it is or whatever instead of trusting you with the money?? I mean I know that a good percentage of the people do make the right choice and use the money for what it is for...However, what about those piece of shit people who don't??
    Anonymous

• EBT cards cannot be used at the ATM only in the store and the register knows what is OK and what is not when it's calculating the total.
    Anonymous

• The first poster is correct. You can not use the EBT card to purchase anything other than food, and you can not withdraw money from it.

What I think you may be thinking of is the old system, with the actual food stamps, and I know what you are talking about. My mom would send me down to the corner store with one that was 5 dollars worth and tell me I could get a 25 cent candy or something, and the change that they gave was cash, which she used to buy cigarettes.

Situations like that is the reason WHY they switched to the EBT card.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• not ebt for food. im talking about the cash assistance part. i had to be on it when i got divorced for a little bit and you can get the cash off by using the ATM. thats how they pay there bills. its still that way cause i personally know people that do this.
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i don't know how they can afford to,when i was on it i couldn't even pay all my bills. they were just basic bills--rent,phone(i was 8 months pregnant,haveing complications,and alone-or i would have turned it off)food(all storebrand) electric.
    Anonymous

• they dont send you a check in the mail anymore, its all on a card seperate from the food part. im on it right now and i withdrawl the cash at my bank and yes i use it for cigarettes and my bfriends beer.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I did not realize that : /

Yeah, that is F'd up. I don't mind helping people out if they need it, but I am not working my ass off to pay for taxes that goes for someone ELSE'S beer and cigarettes. I hate people that abuse the system.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Anon 10:36 - "they dont send you a check in the mail anymore, its all on a card seperate from the food part. im on it right now and i withdrawl the cash at my bank and yes i use it for cigarettes and my bfriends beer."

you make me SICK. You are on that, getting money to help you get back on your feet and pay for the basic necessities of life. Let me guess, you are on WIC too, right? So that your kid has food? And probably food stamps, so you don't have groceries to buy. People like you are the reason why any type of welfare has a bad name.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• yes i got cash assistance for a while and i did use it to buy cig, beer and even drugs. i have gotten treatment but they need to change how the money is given cause i lived with my parents and none of that money went to bills. i am ebarassed now that i used the system
    Anonymous

• i agree with carolyn, i was on it cause my then husband was abusive so i HAD to hide out and use it just to get back on my feet. i do childcare now and i see so many parents that get foodstamps, cash assistance and the state pays for their childcare.they ask me to watch there children while they go party with the welfare money. i of course say no and it makes me mad.
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2008