Breastfeeding- sore, cracked nipples adult content

My son is 7 days old and my boobs are in bad shape. I know it's because he's not latching on right, but when I saw the lactation specialist she said everything looked good. I've been pumping for the last couple of days hoping they will toughen up. I have been using Lanolin (sp?) and cooling pads. How did you get through the pain?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure that they completely air dry before you put them away. Always rub some milk on them just after nursing. Use the cream every time. Make sure that you don't pull baby off of them. Always insert a finger into babies mouth to 'break the seal' or it will cause damage to the nipple tissue and prolong the healing time.

It will pass.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was going to say what Jademom said. Poor mama... I hope they feel better soon. Way to go on keeping up with it though... *thumbs up* :)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• After feeding, pat dry your nipples and express some breastmilk to rub into them (this should be avoided if you have thrush as it thrives in milk). Breastmilk has Vitamin E in it which is very healing to the skin. Note: Avoid applying Vitamin E oil from a capsule to your nipples as this can be toxic to your baby!Warm, moist compresses (wet washcloth works well) often bring relief to nipples both before and after nursing.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 5:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would have them check that you don't have thrush on your nipples. I did with my second and the pain was so bad I bit my sweater to stop myself from screaming! Finally I contacted La Leche and they advised we get checked. Once I was given a gel to put on both myself and the baby the problem went very quickly.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 5:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I just learned to grin and bear it... I was never able to pump - not once, it just never worked. I would say call your lactation consultant, WIC or La Leche and get some support... I would also recommend you ditch the Lanolosh. That is only good for keeping them from chapping, once they are chapped, cracked or bleeding it does NOTHING. Instead, take a run to Babys R Us or another store where they sell BosomBuddies... (You can check for local stores online - HERE) It's all natural and will help you to heal rather than simply get worse.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If you feel that something isn't right, get another professionals opinion. You can go to LLL meetings, or even speak to a leader free of charge. Lansinoh is good stuff, but I prefer Motherlove Nipple Cream. I've only ever been able to find it online though. It's about the same price for a jar of Motherlove as it is for an equal size tube of Lansinoh. You might also look into Soothies, they're gel pads you wear. Breast shells might help you too. They're most often used for flat nipples, worn between feedings to draw out the flat or inverted nipple, but you can also wear them to keep your nipples from rubbing against your clothes.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My lactation consultant said that rubbing milk on them doesnt do anything...Heres a 24/7 laction consultant you can call anytime...800-986-8800

Its all about the latch..Keep trying to get him to latch correctly. Not sure what your doing...or whats not going right but I was trying to put my breast to my son..And point my nipple into his mouth...Once I realized that I needed to bring him to me I got it. Point your nipple up or above his top lip and when he opens his mouth pull him up and onto your breast. Kind of like your putting the bottom of your nipple in first. I will sometimes put my finger above my nipple right next to it and as I pull him to my breast push my nipple down into his mouth..So that I know he has taken enough in at the bottom so that it wont hurt.(My son is 25 days old..So its still new to us too..)And I am very heavy chested and so far have only been able to do the football position.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Oh..Also, when you pull him to your breast dont be afraid to pull him all the way against your breast. You can relax him away a little(so his nose is clear to breath) after he is latched correctly.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• When I had my baby their was no lactation consultant but the nurses said I was doing everything right but I was so sore and ther were cracked so I bottle feed for 2days tell I went to the local WIC clinic and they helped out a lot my baby is 1month old and I am having no problems.... Good Luck call your local wic clinic to schedule an apt. some places like my local wic done need apt.
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 7:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thank you for the support ladies. Great ideas!
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010