she's waking up in the middle of the night

aaagghh....dd's not sleeping through the night..we've finally started getting her to relax in her bed, and fall asleep..but she's still waking up throughout the night...she went to my dad's this weekend, and i've been struggling to get her back into the swing of things...but that's besides the points....i'm really skeptical about trying homeopathic medicines to help this issue, and don't want to have to rely them to get her to sleep...i don't want to just lock her in her room either and make her CIO in the middle of the night when she wakes up...i feel like she understands that she's supposed to sleep in her bed, and that mom isn't supposed to sleep with her all night....we never co-slept, nothing has changed out of the normal...oh and she's 28 months....advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 3.5 years, I am still going thru bouts of this. It will pass but it may take some time.

Do you have a nightlight? Also a humidifier (doesn't need to be filled with water) for white noise. It will also drownd out the sound of any thing that may wake her in the middle of the night.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• She is still a baby. Night terrors are very common around this time so maybe that is the problem. Also check there are no teeth coming in or other issues related to health.
    I would gently return her to her own bed when she wakes up and sit with her for a minute. Don't ever lock a child in their room, unless told to do so my a qualified medical professional, it is abuse and the wrong way to deal with a normal issue with children.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 5:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i never said i was going to lock her in her room.....i said i wouldn't.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I can relate to your situation. My daughter is 24 months old and is very particular about the conditions around her to go to sleep. She won't sleep unless she has her head, hands and feet pushed against things, which made sleeping in cribs difficult once the bumper had to come out. She mostly sleeps in a playard; because of the soft siding, and sometimes with me (my husband retreats to the guest room at that point). My Mother in Law told me that she had read a study theorizing that children with ADD need to push their bodies against things to feel grounded. My entire immediate family have ADD, so it's not far fetched that she might as well. I'm not sure if this is any help, but I thought I would pass the interesting theory along :). Good luck!
    ndvolz

Answer by ndvolz at 5:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It was when you said I dont want to lock her in her room implied that you had the thought in your head.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 6:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No..in statin that I wouldn't bc some moms on here don't mind letting there kids CIO (no offense to the moms who do) and will say that it worked for them.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 7:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I know you said you're "hesitant" but warm milk and some chammomile does the trick for us. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• What does chamomile do?..I don't want to have to rely on medicine of any sort to get her to sleep..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Chamomile is very soothing, it's in all different kinds of tea that we as adults drink all the time.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• maybe she's thirsty have a some water by the bed and just her know she has to stay in her bed not your's
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2010