Is it an allergy?

I have a 7 1/2 month old daughter who has been on solids for a while. I have done rice cereal along with several other fruits and veggies. When I tried the oat cereal, her one cheek became all dry and chapped. My question is - has anyone elses child had a similar reaction to the oat cereal and what did you do? Is it an allergy or something else?

mackfamily

Asked by mackfamily at 1:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had a similar reaction to soy formula. after a while the rash moved on down to his butt -from the poop. i would hold off on the oatmeal, then try it again a full week after any symptoms are totally cleared. if it happens again, you have your answer.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 3:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i would be more interested to know what has been pressed up against her cheek.
    it could have something to do with the oats but if that were the case i would think it would be all over her body or at least on both cheeks.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• that makes sense as well. however when my son had soy formula, none of it got on him, but his reaction looked llike chapped or windburnt cheeks. then after a few days of it in his system, his butt cheeks got the same redness, then the diaper rash started. it took a while for us to realize it was a reaction (prio to the diaper rash), but when we stopped the soy, the cheeks went back to normal. (both sets lol)
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2008