Can I still bleed bright red like a period and still keep my pregnancy? adult content

I am about 5 weeks along and the bleeding began yesterday light pink and progressed to a red like a period. I went into the ER last night and they don't know what is going on. They found the gestational sack and a tiny little heart beat...I am just looking for some reassurance. I have 2 healthy children now and never bled in those pregnancies. I go back to the docs tomorrow to have blood work done and discuss this whole..."mess"

WranglerMommy

Asked by WranglerMommy at 5:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think if you're not having pain or contractions you should be fine. A lot of women have periods throughout their pregnancies ( I know it's weird, I never did either with either of my pregnancies and yes it's weird that you've been pregnant before and this never happened. ) but yes go to your doc and they will let you know what is going on. (((hugs)))
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I now women who have had "periods until they were 5 months.. If they still have the heartbeat you are ok... just relax, and enjoy your pregnancy... Congrats btw!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thanks Girls!! I am just really worried I am hoping they do another ultrasound tomorrow to check on baby. They did the blood tests yesterday saying I am only 5 weeks so naturally I am nervous that I am having a miscarriage. I hope tomorrow the numbers on my blood test go up like they should
    WranglerMommy

Comment by WranglerMommy (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I had random bleeding at 14 and 22 weeks with my son. It was quite a bit of bright blood. Theyt never knew what cause it. But hes 15 months old now :) Keep your head up mama, they will do blood work tomorrow and that will tell you :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Its possible to bleed while pregnant & still go on to have a healthy baby. But, there's no way to know until you have some blood work done to compare your hormone levels. They can tell by yours Hcg levels & progesterone levels whether the pregnancy will be able to continue or if you are miscarrying. When a women bleeds while pregnant, they will mistakenly call it a "period" when that is not what it is. There are many reasons you can bleed while pregnant but having a "period" is not one of them. By definition a menstrual period means your entire uterine lining sheds because there was no reason to retain it (if there is a healthy pregnancy attaching itself you wont have a period because the baby needs that lining to survive) They will need to take blood more then once to compare & see if your levels are rising. If they are falling instead that is a sign of miscarriage. Good luck to you.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 6:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• ive had 4 mcs and each time i started brown to pink to red w clots but deep red not bright he one time it was bright red there was a lot and it was a kidney infection and the baby is fine im 35 weeks
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was 5.5wks when I went in to the hospital for some bleeding. I thought I was miscarrying again. They did an u/s and seen the gestational sac. They told me it was implantation bleeding and I'm 23wks now. They must have a really powerful machine to be able to hear the baby's hb at 5wks with only seeing the gestational sac....sorry but that part I'm having a hard time believing. Good luck though.

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 1:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They didnt hear the heart beat they seen it.
    WranglerMommy

Comment by WranglerMommy (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010