How bad a cough before a dr?

How bad or long do you ride out a nasty cough before you make an appointment to see your dr?

Ive only had this cough for 3 days now, but im coughing up mucus, and its in my chest, like between my brests is where I feel it when I am having a coughing fit...my head is so stuffed up even my ears are plugged up!!!

Its has been so long since Ive been this sick..which I am greatful for that its been so long, but now I feel clueless as to what I should do!

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• Oh poor mama I'd call the doc. I'm one to kind of avoid the doc too if I can, I am a very healthy person for the most part and I feel like if I go to the doc for every little thing I'm being a hypocondriac (sp?). DH is completely different and thinks if you have a sniffle you should make a doc appt. But it sounds like you're pretty bad and I would go just to make sure it doesn't turn into pneumonia or something bad like that. Good luck - get well soon!!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 6:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Personally, I wait a week or two before going to the Dr for a cough unless I have a fever, then I go as soon as I can get an appointment. Hope you feel better soon!
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Wait at least two weeks. It's most likely a virus and the doc will send you home with no treatment. Just take cold meds and get a lot of rest.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Go to the drug store, head back to the pharmacy counter, and get a box of Mucinex-D. Yes its a PITA have to get it from the pharmacy counter, but it is so worth it. Drink lots of water while you take it. It will help you bring up that stuff and clear the stuff out of your head. Generally if a cough is wet and productive, its a good thing. Its when its dry and that junk in your chest is stuck in there and basically "going bad" is when you need to worry about pneumonia.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yeah its pretty miserable..its making me lose my voice...but like the 1st poster said I dont want to be a hypocrondriac either. I had a fever for the first 2 days and now its gone...blah I hate being sick..Ive been taking nyquil at night and Im STILL waking up coughing. Im so sleepy! LOL
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• And of course if your chest is "crackling" when you breath, your wheezing, or running a fever - head to the doc.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thank you Karamille...seriously, I feel so dumb I dont even know how to take care of myself when I am sick lol.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I guess it depends on your other symptoms...does your chest hurt when you cough? When you had a fever how high and did you get shaking chills? Can you hear a weird noise in your chest when you breath...kind of like a crackling? I am currently suffering form pneumonia it is taking a long time to get rid of...thought it was gone form my left lung...it is but has moved to the right.
    If you have or have had the symptoms I mention then you should get seen by your dr.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It doesn't hurt when I cough, but sometimes I cough so bad I can hardly breath. I have been going between chills, and hot flashes...but not so bad that I was shaking when I was cold, or sweating when I was hot. The highest my fever got was 100.8...but for me that is "high" because my normal tempature when not sick is usually around 97.5. Anyway I hope you start to feel better soon bookworm23! Best of luck to you.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I've had the same thing for 10 days now.What color is the mucous you are coughing up?If it's green,thats a good thing.If it's yellow I'd get my butt to the Dr.If you are just going to ride it out,drink lots of fluids.No coffee or dairy products.Hot tea and benadryl or sudafed for comfort.But if it goes on for too much longer,GO TO YOUR DR.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 9:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010