crochet help

I'm a beginner crocheter and would like to start out making scarfs for winter,I was gonna make some for my class at church in primary because we had a lesson about our talents and not being afraid to share our talents. I thought it would make a nice gift for them at christmas. Heres the problem I can't keep my lines straight,so what am I doing wrong? thanks in advance for your help.

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 6:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Count the loops, make sure you are doing the same amount for each line. Now for the hard part, make sure each loop is the same tightness. The more even you can do each of these the better the edges will look. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yep - I agree with Mrs.Coop - count your stiches and keep the same tension on the yarn for all of the stiches. Plus, make sure that you are placing the new stitch in the same place in the previous row - either in the front loop, the back loop, or through both. All three produce interesting patterns in your work, but you can get uneven rows if you are not consistent with stitch placement.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Have you checked out the ravelry website?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You NEED to go to youtube.com and search basic crochet tutorials they are awesome...best of luck!
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010