Question for pro-choicers.....

Does the reason someone has a abortion effect your opinion at all? If someone has one because they are raped or because the baby is a girl and they only wanted a boy, or because they didn't want a baby until after college, etc. Do you think it's okay no matter why they are doing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I couldn't support a woman's choice to abort for an arbitrary reason, like gender. That one really bothers me because the baby would be viable very soon if they know the gender. I hate abortion and wish it were never used, but I can sympathize with women who choose it for a decent reason... severe birth defects, health threats, horrible living conditions... those types of things.

So yes, it most certainly does effect my opinion of it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Why a woman has an abortion in NONE of my business. I don't like abortion, the thought makes me sick, but it is not my uterus, so it is not my business.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• While I am personally morally opposed to abortion, I do not think its the government's place to mandate what a women does or what makes a valid reason. But with that said... my real mission lies with pregnancy prevention, education, and increaseing girls' self worth so they don't try to seek love from a child. If you can prevent unwanted pregnancies from happening, you also prevent abortions.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wasn't saying you didn't know what support was, I was simply stating... Don't as a question if you don't want an answer... And there is a HUGE difference between killing a co-worker and having an abortion... One is legal, one is not... One is ending someone elses life, one is making a medical choice for yourself. They are two very different things. My point was that even if I didn't happen to agree with her why, that it is HER choice, and not mine. It's HER body, not mine. And as a friend, as a pro-choice woman, I would see supporting her as more important than trying to push my feeling or my views on her. I wouldn't want someone else pushing their opinions on me simply because they don't agree with mine, and I would be rather hypocritical if I did it to someone else.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm very pro-choice, but I personally would never have an abortion, unless there was some really crazy circumstance, like I would die or something...I personally do NOT think it is ok no matter what the reason, but it is not my decision to make.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think that having an abortion is a personal decision and I would support anyone who makes that choice, as I would support anyone who chose to keep their child.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 6:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My opinion of whether it is okay or not is irrelevant. It is their choice and I will not judge them for doing what they feel is right

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It's a free country and the more laws our government puts on us the less free we become....I agree with you Sabrina...it is a personal choice and I would tell her I do not agree with her but would be there every step of the way. This said can you even HAVE an abortion after the time frame of finding out the sex??? I guess illegally you could but I do not believe you can have one after 3 months (but I am not entirely sure).

Interesting how this posted anonymously....
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I am pro-choice because I do not want the govt into my any of personal decisions-including my reproductive.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes and No. In the end I see it as a woman's choice. However, I'm not a fan of Abortion and hate that it's used as a form of BC. However, not all of my reasons for being such a staunch Pro-Choicer are really even related to babies as much as they are personal freedom and the strong belief that no government should have the right to choose what is or isn't medically or morally best for me when it comes to medical care.

I would support anyone's choice, because it's their choice, not mine. But I would also do my best to help them understand ALL of their options and make the choice that is best for them long term...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010